Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Library 2.0

I vaguely remember using a paper card catalog when I was a kid. For most of my life I have been using computers to search for library materials. However, it is amazing to me how far libraries have come in the past 20 years. Not only can I look for materials from the comfort of my own home, but I can reserve materials and have them sent to libraries across the country. The perspective "Away from the 'Icebergs' " definitely highlights major changes libraries will see in the near future as a result of Library 2.0. For me, Library 2.0 means that I will be able to view science journals free of charge (hopefully!), access books via the Internet, and download book discs onto my Ipod. Although these things already exist, I think they will be more accessible when they are more connected to the library system. I am excited to see how the library changes and develops in the future, but I hope it doesn't change so much that my kids will not know what it is like to browse through rows and rows of books.

No comments: